What is Rent With Confidence?

It’s a voluntary set of realistic standards and requirements that sets out clearly what landlords and agents need to do when letting or managing a property. 

Who approved and operates the Rent with confidence scheme

The four West of England Local authorities Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset Councils have approved the Standard. The scheme is also supported by Plymouth City Council.

How do I know if a landlord or agents is approved?

The landlord or agent will display the scheme logo. You can ask if they are an approved member or check with the approved organisations if your landlord or agent is an accredited member of their organisation.

Which organisations are approved?

  • Bristol Association of Letting and Managing Agents
  • Bristol University Student Union Lettings
  • Landlord Accreditation South West
  • National Landlords Association
  • National Landlord Code of Excellence
  • Residential Landlords Association

Do tenants have to pay a fee?

You shouldn’t be charged for renting from an approved landlord or agent. Any fees you are liable for must be displayed by the agent.

Will it be expensive for the landlord or agent to meet the requirement of the standard?

No, it shouldn’t be, to meet the standard required as it’s a realistic standard to expect when renting out a property.

What are the benefits of meeting the standard ?

It will help your landlord or agent demonstrate they are compliant and responsible.There are also incentives available to members such as discounted rates for some licensing schemes, key property services, like insurance, property valuations, accountancy etc.

Why has the rental standard been introduced? 

To allow landlords and agents to demonstrate they are responsible and so tenants know where to look to find decent agents, landlords and accommodation. The rental standard replaces existing Accreditation schemes in Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire. Plymouth City Council also support the scheme

I already rent from a landlord or agent whose property is accredited by my Council?

The current accreditation certificate will still be valid until it expires. When it expires the landlord can be accredited by an approved agent or organisation. Each will have its own requirement please refer to that organisations rules.

Hasn’t the council got legal powers to deal with poor conditions?

Yes, the government has introduced a raft of new legislation affecting the private rented sector, including the Smoke and CO Detector Regulations, the Agents Redress Schemes and the Retaliatory Eviction provisions. These are on top of the existing legislative requirements in the Housing Act 2004 and elsewhere. These are enforced across the region, but we believe it is useful to work with landlords, and the Rental Standard is one part of the way we do this. 

How do I report that a landlord or agent is not meeting the requirements of the scheme.

First you need to complain to the organisation who approved your landlord or agent. Tell them what you are unhappy with and why you think they are not meeting the requirements of the scheme. If the issue affects your health and safety please contact your local Council as well.

What do approved organisations do with complaints about an approved member?

The organisations will investigate your complaint and where appropriate will take disciplinary measures if they uphold your complaint.

What if I am unhappy with the approved organisations investigation or action taken.

You can complain to rentwithconfidence@bristol.gov.uk . Bristol City Council will investigate the complaint and respond to you. If you are unhappy with the Council’s decision you can make a complaint to complaints.feedback@bristol.gov.uk. 

email: rentwithconfidence@bristol.gov.uk

tel: 0117 3525010

Bristol City Council North Somerset Council Bath & North East Somerset Council South Gloucestershire Council Plymouth Council